Long day today...started with Exploring Worship, & then Teresa gave us a brief overview of our Worship Leading & Prophetic Worship classes we'll be starting next week. They sound really exciting & scary all at the same time. On one hand, we're going to be learn to hear God's voice so much more clearly--through worship as well as outside of it--but on the other hand, it's really going to push us & challenge us in ways we're not used to. Like memorizing entire chapters of the Bible at a time. And learning to sing out during worship. And going out into the streets & applying His Word in practical ways. I can't wait. After Teresa's Intro we had Songwriting with Kal. Still love that class...it's cool to pick apart songs & realize what components make up a "good" song.
After lunch we had a 3 hour conclusion for V&C on 1 Corinthians 11:2-16. I know you're not all going to actually go look it up so here it is:
2I praise you for remembering me in everything and for holding to the teachings, just as I passed them on to you. 3Now I want you to realize that the head of every man is Christ, and the head of the woman is man, and the head of Christ is God. 4Every man who prays or prophesies with his head covered dishonors his head. 5And every woman who prays or prophesies with her head uncovered dishonors her head—it is just as though her head were shaved. 6If a woman does not cover her head, she should have her hair cut off; and if it is a disgrace for a woman to have her hair cut or shaved off, she should cover her head. 7A man ought not to cover his head, since he is the image and glory of God; but the woman is the glory of man. 8For man did not come from woman, but woman from man; 9neither was man created for woman, but woman for man. 10For this reason, and because of the angels, the woman ought to have a sign of authority on her head.
11In the Lord, however, woman is not independent of man, nor is man independent of woman. 12For as woman came from man, so also man is born of woman. But everything comes from God. 13Judge for yourselves: Is it proper for a woman to pray to God with her head uncovered? 14Does not the very nature of things teach you that if a man has long hair, it is a disgrace to him, 15but that if a woman has long hair, it is her glory? For long hair is given to her as a covering. 16If anyone wants to be contentious about this, we have no other practice—nor do the churches of God.
Hmm. So there are a lot of things that can be argued there, hey? JL went through each individual verse on why he feels convicted that this should be practiced today. To be honest, I don't think it's that big of a deal...meaning, I don't really understand why every church doesn't do it. It's right there in the Bible, so why not? And it's not even as if "head coverings" refers to putting a paper bag over your head or even having to wear an ugly robe or something. Just tie a cute scarf in your hair when you're leading worship, or wear a hat when you speak in front of the congregation. Big deal. Some argue that this practice is outdated, but if it's in the Bible it's there for SOME reason, & why not abide by it in the event that it's intended to be practiced now? I would love to repeat all the major points that JL made in each verse, but I'm exhausted & I'm sure that would make this blog about a 2 hour read. Main point being, if I'm going to pray out in a sunday meeting from behind my drum kit, I'll do so with a scarf tied in my hair. I don't really see why this section of Scripture is so often overlooked.
I can't wait for thursday. I have a meeting with Kal & Teresa from 11:30-noon & that's ALL for the whole day! I don't have to get up early, or drive anyone anywhere, or anything! Plus I haven't really gotten to talk to either of them one-on-one since I've been here so I'm pretty excited. And then friday is only a half day...this week is going to FLY by.
All the different Biblical teachings that we don't follow any more are confusing to me, I guess because society just doesn't do them. I dunno.
ReplyDelete<3
Thanks for sharing this, Cara. Sometimes I get in a mindset that everything my church does is bad, just because I'm too bitter... but this has reminded me of things I tend to forget.
ReplyDeleteI've been wearing a head covering to church for the past 5 years, because my parents force me to. But I wonder if they would let me choose what head covering to wear, so I could wear something I actually liked... and I wonder what would change if I started wearing one out of obedience to God, not because it's yet another rule my parents and my church force on me.
Interesting thoughts. Thanks again.
- Mary
i've always wondered about things like that, the things a lot of churches don't follow anymore, i guess it's something to delve into deeper =) thanks for pointing that out girl!
ReplyDeleteand also, i'm glad to hear you have a bit of a relaxing end to the week :) enjoy it!! go for a fall-appreciation walk or something haha idk :P
*hugs* ♥