Tuesday, October 6, 2009

I Missed A Day!

Oh no! I just realized I didn't blog yesterday! I suppose you haven't missed much, it was the first day of normal scheduling (no more V&C), which meant Ear Training & Music Theory. I know these are going to be the two classes I hate most. So far it hasn't been TOO bad, but it's definitely hard work. I just keep telling myself that at the end of the year I will be a freaking pro at anything music-related. Haha.

Today was AWESOME. I think tuesdays will be my favorite. First of all worship was incredible. I love having days where God is really just THERE & He's speaking to each of us individually & as a group in so many ways. After that we had shortened Exploring Worship (worship ran 30 minutes long), followed by Worship Leading Teams with Teresa! I'm going to love that class. She played us a worship song she wrote that none of us had heard before, just singing & playing piano. Then she had each of us write & discuss our own parts, memorize them, & then play the song together. The whole process took about an hour & a half, but it was awesome. I've never approached a song like that, usually I just have to play what they tell me to. After lunch we had Songwriting...where my Skillet fan...ness...was brought out into the open thanks to lovely Kal. We've been discussing parts of songs (verse, chorus, bridge, intro/outro, etc.) & listening to examples of songs that demonstrate good use of whatever particular part we're discussing. He gives us a list, & then we'll pick one or two to listen to off that list. So he says, "Have you all heard of the band Skillet? I mean, some people have no idea who they are, & some of you know maybe one or two songs, & then there's Cara." Thanks Kal. Haha. NOW everyone will think I'm a freak! Just kidding.

Worship teams are going well, though it's still somewhat intimidating to try & follow Kelly...it's hard to play right after someone, especially when they're better than you, because you hear what they played & want to play it, but your ability just isn't there yet. I've been staying late after school & practicing a bit though & I can feel myself improving, which is so cool. I love feeling that sense of accomplishment of coming up with a beat in my head & then actually being able to reproduce it on the kit. I feel like I'm getting stronger, too...playing alot is teaching me to hit harder. Love it.

Okay, I'm off to dinner with Stef. Should be good times, we haven't gotten to hang out in awhile.

Oh, PS...Sorry if I've sort of dropped off the map (not returning phone calls, facebook messages, emails, etc.)...I'm really trying, but things have just been getting busier & busier, & usually downtime consists of homework. So it isn't that I don't love ya'll, I'm just crazy busy at the mo! Don't let it keep you from sending me encouraging words, it means alot!

3 comments:

  1. We're fighting. Because you hate Ear Training. That is the awesomest of the awesomest. :P

    Just remember, I offered.

    It's good that you're improving performance :) I am so proud of you!

    Love you, praying :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kal's comment regarding Skillet made me laugh. Yes, you are in a class of your own as far as that goes. :-P

    I'm glad you feel like you're getting better on the drums (I'm sure you are, but sometimes it's easy to feel like we're going nowhere even when we ARE improving). Don't know if I've said this before or not, but I've been praying for you since I first heard you'd be going to SOW, and I'll continue to do so. :-)

    - Mary

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Have you all heard of the band Skillet? I mean, some people have no idea who they are, & some of you know maybe one or two songs, & then there's Cara."

    that CRACKED me UP!!!

    sad thing is...if you're a freak...i'm a freak...haha!! but it's OK! :P we prefer "panhead" to "freak" :-)


    anywho, I'm very glad to hear you're really getting into everything. i can tell you just FIT there, and i remember when you were worried about that...but you're still comparing yourself to others! stop that right now!!! :) oh by the way...i don't know if you read my blog or not but... things are moving and i am very firm in believing God wants me to go to SOW...and i thought you should be the first to know!! i have a job interview tomorrow (after months of not being able to get one!!) and i also have someone willing to give me bass lessons. tell me that's not God!! (btw, if you try, i prolly won't believe you LOL!!)

    ♥ you girl!! you're still always in my prayers!

    ReplyDelete