And speaking of emotions...Kal made a solid point when saying that praise has nothing to do with our feelings. We're a group of musicians. Emotions tend to run a bit higher with us than normal people. But JL made a great illustration of what emotions should be, which Kal shared with us today, "Emotions are great to have in the backseat of the car, along for the ride, but they should never be driving." I can definitely say I've been letting my emotions drive me for the last...oh...7 years? That I can recall, anyway, I've always been a pretty emotional person. I'm definitely going to be keeping that in check from now on...especially when it comes to praising God every morning during worship. After all, God is always the same; my emotions are not.
After Exploration of Worship we had more V&C with JL concerning present-day apostles & the building of a church. It was definitely interesting. It's quite different than any church I've been to, but I don't think either way is wrong. Some more effective than others maybe, but hey. I could talk for three more paragraphs on this subject but it would just be a bunch of theology & I'm sure I wouldn't explain it the right way & end up talking myself into a circle. We had that class split into two parts, & then concluded round 2:00, which was nice. I came home & took a nap, & now I've just woken up to write this to all you lovely people who read my blog. Haha.
Tomorrow class ends at noon & I have my first drum lesson at 1:30. So excited! I'm glad we haven't ended up starting worship teams yet...it will be good to get a lesson first & work out some of the kinks.
Have emotions in the back seat of the car, that's good. Some of you let the emotions drive, some of us keep them in a locked case in the trunk, or as we Brits say, the boot.
ReplyDeleteSo you're not the ONLY basketcase...that description totally made PERFECT sense...
ReplyDeleteThis blog entry really hit home for me, because finding the place of emotion in praise is something I've really struggled with, and I've never heard anyone talk about it... thank you for sharing this. :-) It makes so much sense to me.
ReplyDelete- Mary
i'm very excited to hear about your first lesson and ok i'd be lying if i said i wasn't excited to hear about EVEYTHING lol. especially considering what i told you, hearing about it makes me less nervous myself :P
ReplyDeleteprolly won't get to talk to you til next week, this weekend is gonna be madness for me, but i'm still praying for you just like i promised :)
for some reason i feel like i'm supposed to tell you to not be intimidated by others who may have played longer or seem better than you...it's been kinda in my head & on my heart all day, so there. i told you :P
love ya cara! ♥